art with code
Filezoo, end of day 4: Speed!
Today on the Filezoo front: Got relayout down to 1 ms from 100 ms by eliminating unnecessary sorting (man, something's wrong when sorting a 3800-item array of strings takes 100 ms.) Drawing a frame of a 4000-entry dir is down to 50 ms from the previous 500-1000 ms. It still has the initial traversal latency, but I'm now masking it by drawing the first frame without the size-part of the titles. Which is good enough UI-wise, but doing a couple dozen directory traversals in parallel makes the disk cry.
The latency from clicking on a directory to completing the first frame is 60ms for my homedir (272 entries) and 180 ms for /usr/lib (3800 entries). Of the 180 ms, 50 ms goes to listing the directory contents, 80 ms is spent sorting the directory entries and 50 ms drawing. If I want to meet the <100 ms initial latency goal, I need to peel off 80 ms somehow...
But anyhow, speed! Tomorrow some UI work and drawing directory contents [finally!] And probably a second round of code cleanup.
In other news, ran 10 km for the first time in years. Been doing 4-8 km runs lately due to the existence of a nice 8 km loop. Had one 3 x 8 km week a month ago, so 10 km isn't really that much of a stretch. Next up: 15 km!
- ► 2013 (26)
- ► 2011 (20)
- ► 2010 (94)
- ► 2009 (84)
- Filezoo, day 18
- Filezoo, 17.3: image thumbnails
- Filezoo, 17.2: context menu, a bit nicer monitorin...
- Filezoo, 17.1: rewrite done-ish
- Filezoo, 16.1: rewrite, dev env screenie
- Filezoo, 15.2: DirStats static rewrite
- Filezoo, day 15: refactoring plan
- Yeah, it's going to be difficult
- Filezoo, day 14
- X application startup times
- More fishes
- Filezoo startup profile
- Filezoo, start of day 13: some timings, thumbnail ...
- Filezoo, day 12: zoom navigation
- Filezoo, day 11: silly icons, less traversal, pare...
- Filezoo, end of day 10 / start of day 11
- Filezoo, day 10 and 2/3: Manual rectangle clipping...
- Filezoo, end of day 9: requirements document, inte...
- Filezoo, start of day 9: more traversal banging, f...
- Filezoo, day 8: Merge of the recursive branch
- Filezoo, day 6
- Filezoo, end of day 5: Context-sensitive zoom, rec...
- Filezoo, start of day 5
- Filezoo, end of day 4: Speed!
- Filezoo: start of day 4
- A small shell script for Googling
- Filezoo, end of day 3: open terminal, threads
- Filezoo, start of day 3: zooming and panning
- Filezoo: end of day 2
- Filezoo: visual du with aspirations towards file m...
- Visual disk usage app using Mono
- A simple C# analog clock with Mono and Cairo
- Black on white desktop theme
- ▼ November (34)
- Built art installations, web sites, graphics libraries, web browsers, mobile apps, desktop apps, media player themes, many nutty prototypes, much bad code, much bad art.Have freelanced for Verizon, Google, Mozilla, Warner Bros, Sony Pictures, Yahoo!, Microsoft, Valve Software, TDK Electronics.Ex-Chrome Developer Relations.
- Filezoo - Minimalistic zoomable file manager
- Missile Fleet - A game written with Cake.js
- Gitbug - In-repo bug tracker for Git
- Prelude.ml - OCaml stdlib replacement with a Haskellish flavour
- Metadata - File metadata extraction tool and Ruby library
- Thumbnailer - File thumbnailing tool and Ruby library
- Random canvas demos