art with code
Filezoo, end of day 5: Context-sensitive zoom, recursive drawing prototype
Day five of the Filezoo project turns towards the night. Wrote the traversal server, but it was a lot slower than spawning a bunch of ThreadPool work units. So I scrapped that idea. Made clicking on an unreadably small item zoom it to a readable size. Also wrote a prototype of the recursive directory drawing. It's awesome, but crappy. So I'm going to spend a while making it just awesome.
The user interface still lacks a couple of features that would increase the usability of the thing. For starters, there is no overview indicator to show the current scroll position. And zooming out is a bit of a bother (I did make it faster though), clicking outside to zoom out would be handy. The breadcrumb bar also manages to hide the most pertinent parts of the path, which, coupled with the lack of a "Go to parent dir"-button makes navigation impossible once deep enough. Zooming to change directories would be great.
Then on the file management features side - of which there currently are none - a good start would be to add selection and then build a small operation library on top of that. For executing operations on the selection, a context menu would be the tool of choice. Yeah.
- ► 2013 (26)
- ► 2011 (20)
- ► 2010 (94)
- ► 2009 (84)
- Filezoo, day 18
- Filezoo, 17.3: image thumbnails
- Filezoo, 17.2: context menu, a bit nicer monitorin...
- Filezoo, 17.1: rewrite done-ish
- Filezoo, 16.1: rewrite, dev env screenie
- Filezoo, 15.2: DirStats static rewrite
- Filezoo, day 15: refactoring plan
- Yeah, it's going to be difficult
- Filezoo, day 14
- X application startup times
- More fishes
- Filezoo startup profile
- Filezoo, start of day 13: some timings, thumbnail ...
- Filezoo, day 12: zoom navigation
- Filezoo, day 11: silly icons, less traversal, pare...
- Filezoo, end of day 10 / start of day 11
- Filezoo, day 10 and 2/3: Manual rectangle clipping...
- Filezoo, end of day 9: requirements document, inte...
- Filezoo, start of day 9: more traversal banging, f...
- Filezoo, day 8: Merge of the recursive branch
- Filezoo, day 6
- Filezoo, end of day 5: Context-sensitive zoom, rec...
- Filezoo, start of day 5
- Filezoo, end of day 4: Speed!
- Filezoo: start of day 4
- A small shell script for Googling
- Filezoo, end of day 3: open terminal, threads
- Filezoo, start of day 3: zooming and panning
- Filezoo: end of day 2
- Filezoo: visual du with aspirations towards file m...
- Visual disk usage app using Mono
- A simple C# analog clock with Mono and Cairo
- Black on white desktop theme
- ▼ November (34)
- Built art installations, web sites, graphics libraries, web browsers, mobile apps, desktop apps, media player themes, many nutty prototypes, much bad code, much bad art.Have freelanced for Verizon, Google, Mozilla, Warner Bros, Sony Pictures, Yahoo!, Microsoft, Valve Software, TDK Electronics.Ex-Chrome Developer Relations.
- Filezoo - Minimalistic zoomable file manager
- Missile Fleet - A game written with Cake.js
- Gitbug - In-repo bug tracker for Git
- Prelude.ml - OCaml stdlib replacement with a Haskellish flavour
- Metadata - File metadata extraction tool and Ruby library
- Thumbnailer - File thumbnailing tool and Ruby library
- Random canvas demos