art with code
Filezoo, end of day 9: requirements document, interactivity work
Ok, got the requirements document written in a very short form. It's slightly draconian, but that's good, right? No? At least the current codebase thoroughly fails at most of the points.
As good intentions go, I was going to work on solidifying traversal. But I guess doing pretty much nothing but traversal for two days took its toll and I ended up hacking on drawing instead. Specifically, I added a frame profiler that the drawing routine uses to figure whether it can do more in-frame work (directory layout and drawing traversal) or if it should try and get an incomplete image out before the user goes mad from waiting. It's pretty nifty but it's also a solution to a problem that shouldn't exist. The drawing model shouldn't be built in the drawing thread, but as an async response to actions in the event loop.
I also refactored a bit, moved the source files to src/ and wrote a build script (that does an AOT optimization pass too! Go Mono!) I added the above screenshots to the repository as well, for the sake of marketing. Maybe that's not such a good idea.
Tomorrow work on fulfilling some documentation requirements and tag parts with their relative importances. And a coordinate system overhaul. Yeah.
P.S. There's no BigDecimal for C#, so I get to stab myself in the knee and write code to jump seamlessly between directory-local coordinate systems. Such fun!
P.P.S. What should I use for unit testing?
- ► 2013 (26)
- ► 2011 (20)
- ► 2010 (94)
- ► 2009 (84)
- Filezoo, day 18
- Filezoo, 17.3: image thumbnails
- Filezoo, 17.2: context menu, a bit nicer monitorin...
- Filezoo, 17.1: rewrite done-ish
- Filezoo, 16.1: rewrite, dev env screenie
- Filezoo, 15.2: DirStats static rewrite
- Filezoo, day 15: refactoring plan
- Yeah, it's going to be difficult
- Filezoo, day 14
- X application startup times
- More fishes
- Filezoo startup profile
- Filezoo, start of day 13: some timings, thumbnail ...
- Filezoo, day 12: zoom navigation
- Filezoo, day 11: silly icons, less traversal, pare...
- Filezoo, end of day 10 / start of day 11
- Filezoo, day 10 and 2/3: Manual rectangle clipping...
- Filezoo, end of day 9: requirements document, inte...
- Filezoo, start of day 9: more traversal banging, f...
- Filezoo, day 8: Merge of the recursive branch
- Filezoo, day 6
- Filezoo, end of day 5: Context-sensitive zoom, rec...
- Filezoo, start of day 5
- Filezoo, end of day 4: Speed!
- Filezoo: start of day 4
- A small shell script for Googling
- Filezoo, end of day 3: open terminal, threads
- Filezoo, start of day 3: zooming and panning
- Filezoo: end of day 2
- Filezoo: visual du with aspirations towards file m...
- Visual disk usage app using Mono
- A simple C# analog clock with Mono and Cairo
- Black on white desktop theme
- ▼ November (34)
- Built art installations, web sites, graphics libraries, web browsers, mobile apps, desktop apps, media player themes, many nutty prototypes, much bad code, much bad art.Have freelanced for Verizon, Google, Mozilla, Warner Bros, Sony Pictures, Yahoo!, Microsoft, Valve Software, TDK Electronics.Ex-Chrome Developer Relations.
- Filezoo - Minimalistic zoomable file manager
- Missile Fleet - A game written with Cake.js
- Gitbug - In-repo bug tracker for Git
- Prelude.ml - OCaml stdlib replacement with a Haskellish flavour
- Metadata - File metadata extraction tool and Ruby library
- Thumbnailer - File thumbnailing tool and Ruby library
- Random canvas demos