Timed the startup of Filezoo. First, 200 ms of mono overhead (version 1.2.6), then 100 ms of pre-draw init (30 ms Gtk init, 60 ms Filezoo instance creation, 16 ms from Application.Run() to expose handler firing), 200 ms drawing the toolbar for the first time (i.e. loading fonts), and 100 ms for drawing the first frame, for a total of 600 ms. Slow. The ls program takes less than 50 ms.
I'm most shocked by mono's startup cost being so huge. A Hello World takes 100 ms to run in mono, whereas in a compiled language (tested with OCaml) it takes 1 ms.
art with code
- ► 2013 (26)
- ► 2011 (20)
- ► 2010 (94)
- ► 2009 (84)
- Filezoo, day 18
- Filezoo, 17.3: image thumbnails
- Filezoo, 17.2: context menu, a bit nicer monitorin...
- Filezoo, 17.1: rewrite done-ish
- Filezoo, 16.1: rewrite, dev env screenie
- Filezoo, 15.2: DirStats static rewrite
- Filezoo, day 15: refactoring plan
- Yeah, it's going to be difficult
- Filezoo, day 14
- X application startup times
- More fishes
- Filezoo startup profile
- Filezoo, start of day 13: some timings, thumbnail ...
- Filezoo, day 12: zoom navigation
- Filezoo, day 11: silly icons, less traversal, pare...
- Filezoo, end of day 10 / start of day 11
- Filezoo, day 10 and 2/3: Manual rectangle clipping...
- Filezoo, end of day 9: requirements document, inte...
- Filezoo, start of day 9: more traversal banging, f...
- Filezoo, day 8: Merge of the recursive branch
- Filezoo, day 6
- Filezoo, end of day 5: Context-sensitive zoom, rec...
- Filezoo, start of day 5
- Filezoo, end of day 4: Speed!
- Filezoo: start of day 4
- A small shell script for Googling
- Filezoo, end of day 3: open terminal, threads
- Filezoo, start of day 3: zooming and panning
- Filezoo: end of day 2
- Filezoo: visual du with aspirations towards file m...
- Visual disk usage app using Mono
- A simple C# analog clock with Mono and Cairo
- Black on white desktop theme
- ▼ November (34)
- Built art installations, web sites, graphics libraries, web browsers, mobile apps, desktop apps, media player themes, many nutty prototypes, much bad code, much bad art.Have freelanced for Verizon, Google, Mozilla, Warner Bros, Sony Pictures, Yahoo!, Microsoft, Valve Software, TDK Electronics.Ex-Chrome Developer Relations.
- Filezoo - Minimalistic zoomable file manager
- Missile Fleet - A game written with Cake.js
- Gitbug - In-repo bug tracker for Git
- Prelude.ml - OCaml stdlib replacement with a Haskellish flavour
- Metadata - File metadata extraction tool and Ruby library
- Thumbnailer - File thumbnailing tool and Ruby library
- Random canvas demos