Electric blue planktom blooms off Ireland.
Employer Expectations, Peer Effects and Productivity: Evidence from a Series of Field Experiments [PDF]. A study using Amazon Mechanical Turk, one finding was that peers reward effort rather than output quality. Quote from the implications section: "For example, it may be difficult to get workers to substitute easy, correct procedures for difficult, inefficient procedures. Ironically, the difficulty itself might make an outdated procedure harder to replace, as workers who adopt the easier method might be perceived to be shirking. The finding that exposure to low-output work lowers output, combined with the finding that low-productivity reduces willingness to punish, suggests the possibility of an organizational vicious cycle: after observing idiosyncratically bad work, workers may lower their own output and punish less in response, in turn reducing other workers’ incentives to be highly productive."
Forecasting bird migration for the Finnish Air Force. "Why? Bird is a threat."
art with code
- ► 2013 (26)
- ► 2011 (20)
- Branching factor generator
- And some Tuesday links
- Monday links
- Sunday links
- Folding, part 3: parallel folds
- A small hill-climb optimizer
- Folding, part 2: parallel reduction math
- Folding, part 1
- FormData file uploads
- sse.h update, HTML5 fiddling, more links
- A new blog post!
- Yet more random links
- Random links for another day
- Random links of the day
- Random programming ideas
- China at #2
- A slow cache algorithm and a faster one
- ▼ August (17)
- ► 2009 (84)
- Built art installations, web sites, graphics libraries, web browsers, mobile apps, desktop apps, media player themes, many nutty prototypes, much bad code, much bad art.Have freelanced for Verizon, Google, Mozilla, Warner Bros, Sony Pictures, Yahoo!, Microsoft, Valve Software, TDK Electronics.Ex-Chrome Developer Relations.
- Filezoo - Minimalistic zoomable file manager
- Missile Fleet - A game written with Cake.js
- Gitbug - In-repo bug tracker for Git
- Prelude.ml - OCaml stdlib replacement with a Haskellish flavour
- Metadata - File metadata extraction tool and Ruby library
- Thumbnailer - File thumbnailing tool and Ruby library
- Random canvas demos