Tally of different sorts of crap I've done to pass the time:
Music players written: 4 (with mplayer / <audio> / Flash for playback, so maybe these are more "playlist players").
Image slideshows written: 5, three of which on arbitrarily long lists.
Video players /w playlist: 1 (I just repurposed one slideshow).
Document readers: 3, though they just show images of pages.
Scene graph libraries for different retarded purposes: 7.
GUI toolkits: 1. But it didn't go too well.
LaTeX-style text justifier: 1.
Layout text inside a polygon: 1. And it seems like there's zero literature on text layout algorithms.
Tilemap zoomers: 3.
Infinite tree hierarchy zoomers: 1.
File managers: 1. And 3 web-based file managers.
File thumbnailer libraries: 2.
Thumbnail cache systems: 3.
OpenGL-based presentation apps: 3.
File annotation systems: 1.
Metadata editing forms: 3.
File metadata extraction libraries: 1.
Standard library rewrites: 1.
Array combinator libraries: 2. Well, maybe 3.
Search query parsers: 2, the second time Doing It Right with a parser generator.
Search query matchers: 1.
DOM helper libraries: 2.
Context-sensitive help in REPL: 1.
Distributed message-passing libraries: 2.
Network service discovery libraries: 1.
Media players with networked storage and playback (controller on mobile, storage across the network, playback on HTPC): 1, but durr.
Converter graph with pathfinder to convert files: 1 (IIRC plugged to the media player too, so it played PDFs with text-to-speech).
Animation libraries with tweens and timelines: 1.
SQL databases (tables and indices, not database engines): 5? Not very much.
Memcached to cache results of expensive queries: 1.
HTML fragment caches: 1.
Tar parsers: 1.
3D model parsers: 3 of varying levels of completeness.
Huffman encoder & decoder: 1 (yay, coursework).
Image file formats: One vector drawing hack, plus three that basically concatenate JPEGs into a bigger file.
Toy drawing programs: 3.
Desk calculators: 0.
Programming languages: 0 (unless you count an OO Brainfuck implementation).
Something useful: 0.
Hmm, that was more than I initially thought :<
art with code
- ► 2013 (26)
- ► 2011 (20)
- ▼ October (8)
- ► 2009 (84)
- Built art installations, web sites, graphics libraries, web browsers, mobile apps, desktop apps, media player themes, many nutty prototypes, much bad code, much bad art.Have freelanced for Verizon, Google, Mozilla, Warner Bros, Sony Pictures, Yahoo!, Microsoft, Valve Software, TDK Electronics.Ex-Chrome Developer Relations.
- Filezoo - Minimalistic zoomable file manager
- Missile Fleet - A game written with Cake.js
- Gitbug - In-repo bug tracker for Git
- Prelude.ml - OCaml stdlib replacement with a Haskellish flavour
- Metadata - File metadata extraction tool and Ruby library
- Thumbnailer - File thumbnailing tool and Ruby library
- Random canvas demos