art with code

2021-11-24

Azure Files with a high number of Hot Writes

My Azure Files bill for a small 80 GB project share was kinda high. Around $30 per month. But the storage cost should be under $5. What's going on in here?

Azure's non-Premium storage tiers bill you for transactions (basically filesystem syscalls.) I was seeing 450 Create calls per a 5 minute period in Monitoring/Insights. On the Hot storage tier, that amounts to an extra $25 per month. But the load went away during night time. Around the time when I put my laptop to sleep.

Clearly the laptop was doing something. But what... Right. I had an open VSCode window for editing a project in a folder on the fileshare. Running a serve in a terminal too. Closed the VSCode window and the transactions per 5 minutes went to 0. That's a $25/month VSCode window. I guess it counts as SaaS.

Moral of the story? Billing for syscalls is a good business model.

No comments:

Blog Archive