Filezoo. A few things.
Had this random hang at application startup. I don't know what was causing it, but disabling the AOT compilation pass made it disappear. So there.
Config now has hooks for using the Gtk theme colors for the application background et al. But I don't have a way of drawing pretty directories for light backgrounds so I disabled it. And black on white directory labels really make URW Gothic L cry.
Moved the panel controls to a whole new widget. Added the widget to the stand-alone windows. Hurrah for DWIM bar!
Some UTF-8 filenames can crash the renderer. I don't know wtf is up with that. On reaching a certain size, the font just completely blows up and the render target _vanishes_.
I didn't really have any particular goal for this day, maybe it's time to start doing the one-month roundup and really start focusing on the UI side of things for the next month.
On missing features. There's no scrollbar, there's no way to zoom to readable size from the keyboard, there's no way to control view settings from the DWIM bar. Directory view settings aren't remembered. The zoom out navigation is jumpy and you can't pan between dirs that are siblings to the current dir. It would help if text files were rendered inside their boxes. Having some sort of extended preview / reading functionality would be cool, it's often handiest to do read-in-place and edit-in-place instead of "pop up an application that hopefully opens your file and wait for ten seconds while it loads." Eaglemode does it the right way, yes.
Making a nicer theme system might be useful. And configuration and menu scripting. Saving config to GConf and durr. It's kind of hard to find the willpower to work on that stuff.
The core rewrite. Hmm. I would like it to be done. And I really wouldn't like to do it.
Something I think I will do (totally lying here) is port the renderer over to OpenGL. And bring back the lens flare. A shining 100FPS or bust!
art with code
- ► 2013 (26)
- ► 2011 (20)
- ► 2010 (94)
- ► 2009 (84)
- Lock-free PreDraw, less caching
- Some OpenGL renderer analysis
- Filezoo current status ramble
- Bloodwyne made from elven tears
- High-resolution thumbnails
- Thumb zooming, interaction fixes, user manual
- Filezoo logo sketch
- The old file browser hack
- Day 40-41: more tests, return of the dark theme
- Day 39, part 2: two tests, two fixed methods, vide...
- Day 39: white theme, drawing ramble
- Day 38, part 3: NUnit test tests, some small group...
- Filezoo, day 38, part 2: group titles
- Filezoo, day 38, part 1: bug tracker, plan for usi...
- Navigation timings with smooth zoom
- Filezoo plans hodgepodge
- Filezoo day 35-37: better context menus, Fitts's l...
- One month recap in images
- Filezoo day 34, part 2: keyboard shortcuts, draggi...
- Oh. List has functional iterators.
- Filezoo day 34, part 1: extended context menu, cut...
- Filezoo day 33, part 2: more plugged leaks, select...
- Filezoo day 33, part 1: memleak fixes
- Filezoo day 32: drag and drop handling
- Simple clock in F# and Cairo
- The reason i dig functional languages over C#/Java...
- Filezoo day ...I don't know, let's say 31.
- Drawing trees with Haskell and Cairo
- Filezoo, day 30-ish: painted myself in a corner
- Distorted hex
- Some inspiration pics for patterned dirs
- How hex.hs works
- Hexagons with Haskell
- A rotating cylinder of wireframe hexagons?
- Patterned and gradiented dirs
- Day 23: du traversal, semi-functional decoration a...
- Parsing du output with C#
- Plan for day 23
- Week 3 roundup
- Flare On
- Filezoo, day 21
- Oh Delete, You So Mighty
- Filezoo, day 20 progress: panel
- Filezoo, plan for day 20
- Filezoo, start of day 19: wider thumbnails, beginn...
- ▼ December (45)
- Built art installations, web sites, graphics libraries, web browsers, mobile apps, desktop apps, media player themes, many nutty prototypes, much bad code, much bad art.Have freelanced for Verizon, Google, Mozilla, Warner Bros, Sony Pictures, Yahoo!, Microsoft, Valve Software, TDK Electronics.Ex-Chrome Developer Relations.
- Filezoo - Minimalistic zoomable file manager
- Missile Fleet - A game written with Cake.js
- Gitbug - In-repo bug tracker for Git
- Prelude.ml - OCaml stdlib replacement with a Haskellish flavour
- Metadata - File metadata extraction tool and Ruby library
- Thumbnailer - File thumbnailing tool and Ruby library
- Random canvas demos