art with code
Filezoo, start of day 13: some timings, thumbnail proto
Made a small prototype that draws thumbnails for PNGs. It's, hmm, I don't know. It works. But it's worse than grid layout. Compromise between tiny aspect-preserving list thumbs and harder-to-read grid :P
Mostly it just looks sort of cool, and that's all that matters in the end, eh?
Compared directory latency between a Konqueror, Nautilus and Filezoo by opening /usr/lib (3300 entries) from a running instance of each program. Opening the directory took around 1.5 seconds in Konqueror, 4 seconds in Nautilus, 0.2 seconds in Filezoo and 0.05 seconds with ls. Startup times for opening /usr/lib, from executing the application commandline to first frame drawn (hot cache): ~2s for Konqueror, ~5s for Nautilus, 0.8s for Filezoo and 0.05s for ls.
Some things to note: Konqueror and Nautilus draw icons and display about 30 files on the screen. Filezoo doesn't draw icons and displays 3300 files on the screen. ls doesn't draw icons, displays 3300 files on the stdout and has its effective performance limited by the terminal emulator.
Today I'll be going through the code and doing cleanup. Then, time permitting, I'll add selections and a right-click menu for acting on them. Tomorrow is a rest day.
- ► 2013 (26)
- ► 2011 (20)
- ► 2010 (94)
- ► 2009 (84)
- Filezoo, day 18
- Filezoo, 17.3: image thumbnails
- Filezoo, 17.2: context menu, a bit nicer monitorin...
- Filezoo, 17.1: rewrite done-ish
- Filezoo, 16.1: rewrite, dev env screenie
- Filezoo, 15.2: DirStats static rewrite
- Filezoo, day 15: refactoring plan
- Yeah, it's going to be difficult
- Filezoo, day 14
- X application startup times
- More fishes
- Filezoo startup profile
- Filezoo, start of day 13: some timings, thumbnail ...
- Filezoo, day 12: zoom navigation
- Filezoo, day 11: silly icons, less traversal, pare...
- Filezoo, end of day 10 / start of day 11
- Filezoo, day 10 and 2/3: Manual rectangle clipping...
- Filezoo, end of day 9: requirements document, inte...
- Filezoo, start of day 9: more traversal banging, f...
- Filezoo, day 8: Merge of the recursive branch
- Filezoo, day 6
- Filezoo, end of day 5: Context-sensitive zoom, rec...
- Filezoo, start of day 5
- Filezoo, end of day 4: Speed!
- Filezoo: start of day 4
- A small shell script for Googling
- Filezoo, end of day 3: open terminal, threads
- Filezoo, start of day 3: zooming and panning
- Filezoo: end of day 2
- Filezoo: visual du with aspirations towards file m...
- Visual disk usage app using Mono
- A simple C# analog clock with Mono and Cairo
- Black on white desktop theme
- ▼ November (34)
- Built art installations, web sites, graphics libraries, web browsers, mobile apps, desktop apps, media player themes, many nutty prototypes, much bad code, much bad art.Have freelanced for Verizon, Google, Mozilla, Warner Bros, Sony Pictures, Yahoo!, Microsoft, Valve Software, TDK Electronics.Ex-Chrome Developer Relations.
- Filezoo - Minimalistic zoomable file manager
- Missile Fleet - A game written with Cake.js
- Gitbug - In-repo bug tracker for Git
- Prelude.ml - OCaml stdlib replacement with a Haskellish flavour
- Metadata - File metadata extraction tool and Ruby library
- Thumbnailer - File thumbnailing tool and Ruby library
- Random canvas demos